Saatva HD Gets a Shoutout from Essence
Finding the right mattress can be difficult if you're a bigger-bodied person since most conventional mattresses aren't designed with your body type in mind. The good news is, there's a growing selection of mattresses engineered specifically for higher-weight people—including our Saatva HD, which recently received a rave in Essence, the premiere lifestyle, fashion, and beauty magazine for African-American women.
Before discovering the Saatva HD, writer Danielle Pointdujour says she spent thousands of dollars on mattresses and toppers—and even tried flipping her previous mattresses every few months—in an effort to avoid back pain and mattress sagging.
"Like many of you for years I've slept on bed that started out as a place of comfort, but over time ended up being a torture chamber dishing out sleepless nights caused by dented surfaces and murderous springs that took joy in stabbing as I tossed and turned every night," she writes.
That all changed when Pointdujour saw an ad for the Saatva HD, a luxury hybrid mattress designed for people weighing between 300 and 500 pounds, and decided to give it a try.
"From the first night I slept on it I noticed the change," writes Pointdujour. "Not only did I feel fully supported (yay to waking up without a stiff neck), but bae and I never noticed each others' tossing and turning because the Saatva HD also doesn't transfer motion."
Pointdujour was sold on the mattress's key features, which include the following:
- Breathable organic cotton cover that promotes a cool night's sleep and Euro pillow top that adds a layer of cushioning and comfort
- 5-zone firm natural latex layer that provides targeted support in the lumbar zone and under shoulders and hips
- Contouring comfort layers made up of a unique combination of memory foam and support foams that contour and cushion for pressure relief on sensitive joints
- High-durability coil base that is made with 12.5-gauge tempered steel coils that are 25% stronger than the industry standard, 17-gauge helical wire that helps reduce motion transfer so you won't feel your partner moving, and patented spinal zone active wire that adds support in the center third of the mattress, where you need it most
- High-density foam rails that provide long-lasting edge support, making it easier to get in and out of bed
See How the Saatva HD Can Improve Your Sleep
Pointdujour says it's now been a few months since she's had her Saatva HD, and it still feels like she's "sleeping on a cloud." She adds, "It feels so good to wake up every day in a good mood from a restful night of sleep. There's still no dents, bent edges or broken springs, even with a combined weight of nearly 400 pounds sleeping on it every night, something that happened quickly with my old mattresses."
"From the first night I slept on it I noticed the change. Not only did I feel fully supported (yay to waking up without a stiff neck), but bae and I never noticed each others' tossing and turning because the Saatva HD also doesn't transfer motion."
Pointdujour ends her review of the Saatva HD by calling it #curvygirlapproved and saying, "It's truly one of the best investments you'll make in your health and wellness this year."
Read the full review of the Saatva HD essence.com.
See how the Saatva HD stacks up against its competitors: