Buying a New Mattress? Read This First
Choosing your next mattress is a big decision. After all, you could be living with it for a decade or more. That's why you want to select the best mattress for your sleep style, your budget, and even the size of your bedroom. Then, once you've got that figured out, you have to go buy the thing—but from where?
To make the process easier, we've compiled this mattress guide, covering everything from the difference between mattress materials to how to decide on the right firmness level to the best way to care for your mattress so it will last for years to come. Have a question you don't see addressed here? Send us an email at email@example.com.
The first step to finding the best mattress is understanding common mattress terms and fine print policies so that you can make an informed decision. These overviews of the mattress-buying process will give you the tools you need to get started.
- 4 Questions That Will Help You Pick the Best Mattress
- 7 Steps to the Perfect Mattress
- Mattresses: An A-to-Z Guide
- 4 Mattress Fine-Print Policies You Need to Know
Exploring mattress types
There's a mattress to suit just about any preference (hey, we hear even waterbeds are making a comeback), but the four most common types of mattresses are innerspring, memory foam, latex, and adjustable air. Hybrid mattresses, which typically combine innersprings with a memory foam or latex layer, are also gaining in popularity. Each type has a different feel and provides different benefits.
- Looking for an Innerspring Mattress? Here's What You Need to Know
- What's the Best Innerspring Mattress for the Money?
- The Definitive Guide to Innerspring Mattresses
Memory foam mattresses
- Looking for a Memory Foam Mattress? Here's What You Need to Know
- What's the Best Memory Foam Mattress for the Money?
- The Definitive Guide to Memory Foam Mattresses
- Looking for a Latex Mattress? Here's What You Need to Know
- What's the Best Latex Mattress for the Money?
- The Definitive Guide to Latex Mattresses
Adjustable air beds
How mattress types compare
- Innerspring, Memory Foam, Latex: What Type of Mattress Is Best?
- The Difference Between Latex and Innerspring Mattresses
- The Difference Between Memory Foam and Innerspring Mattresses
- The Difference Between Latex and Memory Foam Mattresses
- Innerspring vs. Adjustable Air Bed: 5 Key Differences
- Memory Foam vs. Adjustable Air Bed: 7 Key Differences
- Latex vs/ Adjustable Air Bed: 6 Key Differences
Other important mattress considerations
- Plush vs. Firm: Which Mattress Comfort Level Is Right for You?
- Pillow Tops and Euro Tops: What's the Difference?
- Why Some Mattresses "Sleep Hot" (and What to Do About It)
- What Makes a Luxury Mattress?
Choosing the best mattress for your sleep style and body type
Comfort is subjective. What feels good to you may not feel good to somebody else. So the surest path to mattress happiness is to consider the way you sleep and your body type before making a decision.
- Choosing the Right Mattress for Your Sleep Position
- What's the Best Mattress for Side Sleepers?
- What's the Best Mattress for Back Sleepers?
- What's the Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers?
- How to Choose the Best Innerspring Mattress for Your Sleep Position
- How to Choose the Best Memory Foam Mattress for Your Sleep Position
- How to Choose the Best Latex Mattress for Your Sleep Position
- What's the Right Mattress for Your Body Type?
Selecting the right mattress size
This might seem like an obvious one, but even here you have more choices than you might think. Do you sleep alone? With a partner? How about pets or children? These should all factor into the mattress size you choose.
- What's the Right Mattress Size for Me?
- A Handy Guide to Mattress Dimensions
- How to Decide if a King Size Bed Is Right for You
Mattress shopping for a family
If you sleep with a partner or have kids or pets that share the bed, there are other mattress considerations to take into account, plus strategies that can help all of you get better sleep.
- Mattress Buying Tips for Couples
- The Best Mattress for Your Marriage
- Want a Better Sex Life? Get a Better Mattress
- 5 Ways to Be a Better Sleep Partner
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Your Child
- The Case for Sleeping with Dogs
Knowing what's in your mattress
Some mattresses have chemicals in them that are bad for the environment—to say nothing of your health. Finding one that uses organic and eco-friendly materials is a great idea if you're concerned about mattress chemicals.
- How Eco-Friendly Is Your Mattress?
- What Is an Organic Mattress?
- What Is Mattress Off-Gassing?
- How to Keep Scary Chemicals Out of Your Mattress
- Why You Should Buy an American-Made Mattress
- The Importance of Knowing Where Your Mattress Comes From
- What Is Fair Trade (and Why Does It Matter?)
Comparing mattress brands
You have a lot of mattresses to choose from, which makes mattress-shopping overwhelming. See how different mattresses stack up against each other.
- Saatva vs. Sealy Posturepedic
- Saatva vs. Simmons Beautyrest
- Loom & Leaf vs. Purple
- Loom & Leaf vs. Leesa
- Loom & Leaf vs. Tempur-Pedic
- Loom & Leaf vs. Casper
- Loom & Leaf vs. Puffy
- Zenhaven vs. Avocado
Choosing the best foundation for your mattress
Every mattress needs a base, whether that's a standard frame and foundation or an adjustable one. The right support will keep a mattress from sagging, raise it to a comfortable height, and help prolong its life.
- Do You Need a Box Spring or Foundation?
- The Right Kind of Base for Any Mattress
- The Best Mattress for an Adjustable Base
Deciding when and where to buy a mattress
Should you go to a mattress store or shop online? And should you wait for a holiday like Black Friday or Memorial Day to snag a sale? It turns out that in-store mattress sales aren't always what they're cracked up to be.
- Why Black Friday Mattress Sales Aren't Always What They Seem
- How to Vet an Online Mattress Company
- What's the Best Time to Buy a Mattress?
- Here's What You Need to Know About Buying a Mattress Online
- The Lowdown on Mattress Costs
The best bedding for your mattress
You may want new sheets, pillows, protectors, and other accessories to go with your new mattress.
- The Definitive Guide to Buying Sheets
- How to Read a Sheet Label
- The Best Bedding for Sensitive Skin
- How to Pick the Right Pillow for Your Best Night's Sleep
- The Best Pillow for Every Kind of Sleeper
- Mattress Pads, Protectors, and Toppers: Which Do You Need?
- Mattress Toppers: A Buyer's Guide
Taking care of your mattress and bedding
A quality mattress should last you 10-15 years—if you take care of it right.